Ohhh those Russian pancakes! If you ever been to Russia or got Russian friends- for sure you tried those. We even have a full week dedicated to them (Maslenitsa). So many ways of serving them: caviar, meat, curd, jams, sour cream- you name it). There are so many recipes, but today I will tell you of one of my favorite and easiest ways of making delicious blinis, stuffed with minced meat.
Ingredients for pancakes:
- 1 liter of milk
- 2.5 cups of white flour
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of soda bicarbonate
- cooking oil
- spring onions
- 3 eggs
Ingredients for stuffing:
- 250 gr of minced beef
- 1 egg
1) Warm up the milk but don't make it hot. Add eggs, sugar, salt and soda bicarbonate and mix it well with either a hand mixer or electric one. Slowly add flour and mix it well. The mixture should remind of a thick cream.
2) Lets prepare the stuffing: fry minced meat, add salt, pepper and onions (not spring onion), add water, leave it covered on a low fire for 15-20 minutes. After that beat one egg with a little bit of water and add to the minced meat, leave it to cook for another 5 minutes. Turn the fire off.
3) Time to make the pancakes: Make sure your frying pan is super hot. Brush the cooking oil on the frying pan, pour some of the pancake mix into it and keep rotating the pan so it spreads evenly. After 3-4 minutes flip your pancake (when the color turns golden- keep checking). Fry it for another couple of minutes and transfer it to a regular plate.
TIP 1: Use one onion on a fork instead of a brush. Dip it in oil and brush with it your cooking pan. Aroma of the pancakes will be incredible
4) Put in the middle of the pancake a bit of butter, add minced meat, gather the sides of the pancake with your hand like you are making a cute bag:) Use spring onion to tie it up.
TIP 2: Pour hot water over spring onions before making a "ribbon" on your pancake bag. By doing it, spring onions are less likely to break.
Serve your pancakes with sour cream. If they turned cold, you can always warm them up on the frying pan with some butter.
Enjoy my Glamorous Chefs!