All of us buy cheese in the supermarkets. Very convenient. Once I decided to check the content of most commercial cheeses-well, there are lots of preservatives. My granny used to make cheese at home all them time because there were no supermarkets or even regular shops in the village. Homemade cheese is different in taste, but how delicious and soft it is.. yummy! Excellent for your kids' lunch boxes. Do you know that it is extremely easy to make it? Look how...
- 2 packs of President cottage cheese (please look attentively at my ingredients picture. Other cottage cheese will make other types of cheese. If you want the same like I did-do buy this one. It is sold in Choitrams, Carrefour, Spinneys etc)
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams of butter
- sodium bicarbonate 1 tea spoon
- 1.5 tea spoons of salt (you can use more if you like saltier cheese)
- 1 liter of milk
1) Try to use thick pot (I use cast iron pots Le Creuset- they are excellent). Put cottage cheese with milk on the fire. Let it boil. Lower the fire, keep mixing it with wooden spoon for about 10 minutes. The consistency will keep changing.
2) Strain it above a large pot. Do NOT throw the liquid-there is a great use for it (will tell you about it at the end of this post). Make sure all liquid is gone. Add butter, salt, sodium bicarbonate and eggs. Mix it very well and put it back on the fire in the same pot in which it was boiling.
3) Keep the fire low, and keeeeep stirring, don't even leave your cheese-to-be for a second-it will burn. Even if you see some sides burning a bit, don't worry, just keep stirring till you see your mixture starts to look like it is melting. Keep stirring for 5 minutes. Put the fire off and immediately transfer the mixture into a heat proof dish.
4) Press firmly with your wooden spoon on the mixture into the dish. Your cheese will take the same shape as the dish, so you can be creative:) Cover it either with a plate or with a dish cover. Let it cool. Then put it in a fridge for few hours. After it became completely cold, use the thinnest knife to separate it from the walls of the dish, lift it flip it and here we areeee!! Our home made cheese "oppa village style" is ready!
Just take a look at this beauty!
Now.. remember about the liquid left? I didn't even know myself that this liquid in the perfect base for our Russian pancakes. For this quantity of liquid add 2 eggs, a bit of sugar, 1 tea spoon of sodium bicarbonate, 2 cups of white flour and 2 table spoons of cooking oil. Mix it very well. Make those perfect fluffiest crepes for your little ones and the whole family! Details of making pancakes you can find in the Russian Pancakes recipe...
LOVE YOU ALL MY GLAM CHEFS