I noticed that the whole idea of making turkey at home intimidates many. I wouldn't blame you. Turkey usually turns out very dry, even in the best restaurants. I developed this recipe by myself, it took me long time to come up with this perfect turkey, but it was worth it. People who tried it admitted that they have never ever tasted anything better in their life. Believe it or not- it's simple! Yes, it involves a lot of ingredients, but they are very easy to be found. Your turkey is going to be soooo juicy that you will forget any other recipe out there.
- turkey 5-7 kgs (I wouldn't take bigger). I found in Dubai this amazing frozen turkey which is hormone free and raised on a ranch in USA. Can be purchased from Safestway Supermarket on Sheikh Zayed Road next to Mazaya Center
- huge pot where it can fit (alternatively you can use a plastic bag which will need to be tied well)
- 3 green apples
- Dijon mustard
- dried berries
- dried apricots or prunes or both
- spices: garlic pepper, garlic salt, garlic herb, chicken seasoning (any), dry parsley, thyme, rosemary.
- fresh garlic
- 5-7 sweet oranges
- raw brown sugar
- young potatoes
- baby corn
- frozen cranberries
- corn flour
- olive oil
- big syringe
1) My turkey was 6.5 kgs. This is perfect for a lovely dinner. Turkey breast can be used for lunch boxes for kids- what can be healthier! Let prepare the marinade: water (has to cover our turkey) mixed with 1 cup of raw brown sugar, 1 cup of fine salt (roughly..you need to get that sweet salty taste), 7-8 bay leaves, 3 lemons, garlic salt, garlic herb, chicken seasoning, dry parsley, thyme, squeeze 1 full head of garlic. Mix it all well and taste it. You should feel if something is missing. Maybe extra spices? Maybe more salt or sugar? Now put your turkey in this brine breast down (if you are using a pot) or just put his bring in a plastic bag, tie it well and keep it in the fridge for 12-24 hours.
2. Take our your turkey and use kitchen towel to dry it well from inside and outside. Prepare your baking dish. Put some olive oil, place baby potatoes skin on, carrots, baby corn on it, add some salt and dry rosemary. Put your turkey on top breast up. Rub it with olive oil and garlic pepper spice. Mix 2 table spoons of Dijon mustard with 2 table spoons of honey and rub the turkey. (this turkey gets lots and lots of rubs:)
3) Now it's time for my secret trick to make it or break it. Squeeze the juice of 3-4 oranges, strain it to remove the pulp. add 2-3 tea spoons of fine salt and mix it well. Taste it. Has to be something it between.. Buy from any pharmacy a big syringe, fill it up with the mix and start injecting your turkey. You will need at least 3 injections on each side of the breast, 1 injection under the wings, and few injections in the legs.
4) Stuff the turkey with green apples (cut into pieces), dry berries, raisins, prunes, dry apricots (you can soak these if you want them softer, I like them chewy), almonds. If you like, you can add an extra spoon of honey inside. Cover it well with aluminum foil, put it in preheated oven (200 degrees Celsius) for 3.5 hours.
5) Let's prepare cranberry sauce: 2 cups of frozen cranberries mix with 3/4 cups of water and bring it to boil. Add 2 table spoons of sugar and squeeze 2 oranges. Add fresh ground black pepper. Boil for 8-10 minutes on low fire. Taste it: if you want it sweeter- add more sugar. Mix 1-2 table spoons of corn flour with 2 table spoons of cold water. Add while stirring to your cranberries and boil for another 2-3 minutes. Wasn't it easy?
6) Now it's time to check our turkey. I highly recommend using Weber thermometer for food. It needs to be not below 160 degrees Fahrenheit in the breast. If you feel that your turkey doesn't have enough color, rub it a bit with honey and keep it without foil in the oven for another 15 minutes. Every half a kilo of turkey needs to cook about 20 minutes (that's how you can calculate approximately). Now place your turkey on a serving dish, decorate it with veggies, lettuce, oranges and parsley. Ready to try it??
Look how perfect it is... Bon Appetit my Glamorous Chefs